English / Frankenstein
FrankensteinThis essay Frankenstein is available for you on Essays24.com! Search Term Papers, College Essay Examples and Free Essays on Essays24.com - full papers database.
Autor: anton 13 October 2010
Words: 616 | Pages: 3
1. Alchemy deals with a magical science, which is what Victor wanted to do in creating his monster. Paracelsus, Albertus Magnus, and Cornelius Agrippa were all alchemists. â€œâ€¦here were men who had penetrated deeper and knew more.â€ (p.41) Victorâ€™s father rejects alchemy as â€œsad trashâ€ because Newtonâ€™s book put down alchemy.
2. Natural Philosophy is the old term for physical science, especially physics. â€œNatural Philosophy is the genius that has regulated my fate; I desire, therefore in this narration, to state those facts which led to my predilection for that science.â€ (p.40)
3. Margaret Saville is Waltonâ€™s sister, the two exchange letters while Walton is away. Margaret is the one who has shaped Walton into a feminine, nurturing being. â€œâ€¦my best years spent under your gentle and feminine fosterage has so refined the groundwork of my characterâ€¦â€ (p.20) Margaret also has a strong distaste for the journey Walton is on.
4. Justineâ€™s function in the novel is to expose something of Victor. Justine was thought to be the murderer of William, but really was framed by the monster. Justine is put on trail and sentenced and killed for this crime. Victor who knows that the monster has killed William has the power to free Justine, but he chooses to hold in his knowledge.
5. Mary Wollstonecraft was the first feminist who wrote Vindication of the Rights of Man in 1791, and then soon after Vindication of the Rights of Women in 1792. She was married to William Godwin and they had a child Mary W. Godwin together. Mary Wollstonecraft died soon after her daughterâ€™s birth.
6. â€œAnd oft did my human nature turn with loathing from my occupation.â€ This quote is said when Victor is almost finished with creating the monster. Victor was feeling hatred towards his creation, yet he still went on. He also felt loathing in creating the female, but he stopped this creation.
7. â€œHe looked in at the window with the utmost malice and treachery.â€ This quote is said when Victor is creating the female and he looks up to see the monster staring in at him grinning. The one actually possessing the look of â€œmalice and treacheryâ€ is Victor. Victor is breaking the deal in that he tears the female up in front of the monster, which then causes the monster to seek more revenge.
8. Henry Clerval is a friend of Victors, who comes to visit him when he is attending the university. Henry arrives soon after the monster wakes, and he takes care of Victor during his time of illness. Henry accompanies him on Victorâ€™s journey also to create the female but stays behind. This is where the monster finds him and kills him for revenge.
9. Volneyâ€™s Ruins of Empires teaches the monster about human society and himself. â€œThrough this work I obtained a cursory knowledge of history and a view of the several empires at present existing in the world, it gave me an insight into the manners, governments, and religions of the different nations of the earth.â€ (p.122) it taught him that human beings are contrary. Also human society, he learns about the class structure, rank, descent, and noble blood. All these factors cause him to think about himself and how he doesnâ€™t fit into this structure.
10. Miltonâ€™s Paradise Lost is a twelve book epic about the war in Heaven. God creates Adam and Earth, Adam becomes lonely and God decides to create Eve. This causes the monster to want someone else. â€œBut Paradise Lost excited different and far deeper emotions.â€ (p.132) Therefore, the monster asks Victor to create him a female.
Get Better Grades Today
Join Essays24.com and get instant access to over 60,000+ Papers and Essays