History Other / History 1900'S
History 1900'SThis essay History 1900'S is available for you on Essays24.com! Search Term Papers, College Essay Examples and Free Essays on Essays24.com - full papers database.
Autor: anton 06 December 2010
Words: 1130 | Pages: 5
U.S. History Review
1. Wilson wanted to overcome the opposition of war in U.S. so he crouched American war aims in disinterested and idealistic terms: The U.S. he claimed, wanted "peace without victory", a "war for democracy," and liberty for the worlds oppressed peoples.
2. Triple Alliance : Germany , Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire.
3. Triple Entente : Great Britain, France, and Russia. Later the U.S.A joined.
4. American Trade prior to the war was with both Germany and France. Also Ties with Great Britain.
5. Groups that supported WW's efforts to stay out of war were also supporters of The Peace movement. Which included The National American Women Suffrage Association, The Women's peace party, progressives, and socialists joined hands in the American Union Against Militarism and pressures Wilson to continue pursuing the path of peace.
6. Chairman Of W.I.B. Bernard Baruch. Established by WW to harness manufacturing might to military needs. Baruch permitted industrialists to charge high prices for their product, increasing their profits significantly. He hired investment bankers and corporate lawyers. Exposed his oppositions to public. War Production increased a lot, and cooperation between the public and private sectors was discovered by manufacturers. The corporate violated the progressive pledge to protect the people against "interest". The cost of war ended up $33 billion when he estimated cost was $11 Billion.
7. Gave the laborers higher wages. (couldn't find anything else.)
8. William Taft as Cochairman. It brought together representatives of labor, industry, and the public to resolve labor disputes. Presence of Gompers, on the board gave unions a national voice in government affairs. He was expected to mobilize workers behind Wilson, discredit socialist who criticized the war, and discourage strikes that encouraged war production. NWLB lacked the ability to impose its will, it managed to pressure many manufacturers into improving wages and hours, reducing wage discrimination, and allowing their workers to join unions.
9. 1/3 came from increased taxes and 2/3 came from "Liberty Bonds".
10. Committee on Public Information (CPI) was set up by WW to publicize and popularize the war. Chairman Ð’â€“ George Creel. 75 million pamphlets explaining the war. Trained 75000 "four minute men" to deliver succinct uplifting war speeches. Tried showing Americans that it entered the war "to make the world safe for democracy."
11. (Espionage and) Sedition Act- Congress gave WW's administration sweeping powers to silence and even imprison dissenters. Contributed the most drastic free speech restriction since the Alien Sedition Acts.
13. "Total war" meaning that combatants devoted virtually all their resources to the fight. Economically, politically, and financially.
14. Machine Guns, artillery, gas, U-Boats, and submarine warefare.
15. Provide international assistance to control peace. Promote Peace throughout the world.
16. Fourteen Points Ð’â€“ Settling Territorial settlements. Reaffirmed Americas commitment to an international system governed by laws rather than by might and renounced territorial aggrandizement as a legitimate war aim. 2 Points, 1) all nations to abide by a code of conduct that embraced free trade, freedom of the seas, open diplomacy, disarmament, and resolution of disputes through mediation, 2) Europe to give subjugated peoples of the Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman, and Russian empires national sovereignty.
17. The Peace of Versailles was an unsatisfactory compromise with little chance of ensuring an enduring peace. Each of the 'Big Three' had different aims which had to be modified in order to reach an overall agreement and the Germans were not even allowed to take part in the negotiations. Germany was humiliated, the French didn't feel completely secure, the British had wanted the re-establishment of trade more than anything else and the Americans had had to give up on their ideals of self determination where Germany was concerned.
18. A nation-wide anti-radical hysteria provoked by a mounting fear and anxiety that a Bolshevik revolution in America was imminent--a revolution that would destroy property, church, home, marriage, civility, and the American way of life.
19. Marcus Garvey Ð’â€“ Jamaican. NAACP. Back to Africa. Believed Blacks should have own country. He was not successful. Called for black nationalism. He was deported back to Jamaica. But his legacy lived.
20. Welfare Capitalism Ð’â€“ to encourage loyalty to the firm and to the capitalist system. American context to the practice of businesses providing welfare-like services to employees.
21. 21. Chosen as candidate because they thought he would listen to whatever they told him to do, released Debs, appointees use office for private gain, accept money from oil companies and hospital suppliers to give them monopolies
22. 22. cut down German debt to US they pay $250 mill a year, we give them installments of $200 mill
23. 23. Wilson won Ð’â€“ platform is "HE KEPT US OUT OF WAR
24. 24. popularize war, reasons for US to go to war, founded by Wilson, books, ads in magazines and every corner, want to make world safe for democracy (Committee of Public Information)
25. 25. short dresses, low stockings, red lipstick, smoke in public
26. 26. newly refounded, William Simmons, hate blacks, jews, Catholics
27. 27. country cant accommodate this many new immigrants, reduce immigration from Eastern Hemisphere by 80%, ppl from certain country in US- 2% of that number can come in as new immigrants, Brits, germans, and scandanavians have advantage, this is because they are seen as superior
28. 28. Bible is exactly how it happens Ð’â€“ reasons are rise of Liberal Protestants and orevolutions of science
29. 29.religon must be adapted to modern times, Science bad for religion
30. 30. Scopes arrested for teaching evolution instead of creationism in a school, this is illegal in Tenessee, this law struck down
31. 31. CANT FIND ANYTHING ON UNIONS IN 1920's
32. 32. intellectuals and artists feel alienated from American public, saw public as small minded and materialistic, they lost contact with public after War
33. 33. focused on duties and sexuality, started with GM and different colors for cars, boosted by larger middle class
34. 34. more prosperity in country, better work conditions and more breaks, cafeterias built, many poor stayed poor
35. 35. less regulations, Coolidge is hands off, silence, honest, Harding- scandalous, Hoover Ð’â€“ economy based on association, trade associations of professionals Ð’â€“ members share ideas on how to make more money and make better products
36. 36. secretary of interior got president to give his department control of oil reserves, paid of by oil tycoons for monopolies, they sold pumped oil to navy ( who used to be in charge)
37. 37. avoid war and settle international disputes thtough pacific means Ð’â€“ France, US, and 13 more countries, later got 48 more nations
38. 38. SEE # 27 on immigration restriction (that's what this act did)
39. 39. Chief source of labor due to limits on Eastern immigrants, paid less money and refused skilled positions, mostly crops, 75% in Cali, many illegal, no cars, bad English and bad knowledge of laws
40. 40. no poverty, everyone has money for luxuries, has a part in corporate world, wages pretty high, so is price of living
41. 41. CANT FIND ANYTHING
42. Essays- Propoganda and Harlem Renisance (stuff we went over in class)
Get Better Grades Today
Join Essays24.com and get instant access to over 60,000+ Papers and Essays