Social Issues / Music Censorship
Music CensorshipThis essay Music Censorship is available for you on Essays24.com! Search Term Papers, College Essay Examples and Free Essays on Essays24.com - full papers database.
Autor: anton 15 December 2010
Words: 1097 | Pages: 5
-Cursing, promoting violence, promoting drugs, and devaluing women, are all things a lot of todays artists sing about, and when does it become too much.
-When do the artists almost employ values on its listeners in a negative way? As said by snoop dogg inTha Blue carpet treatment released November of 2006 he says â€œdon't tell, wont tell, baby said I don't talk Dogg but she told on me, oh well,
take a picture wit me, what the flick gon' do, baby stick to me & ima stick on u,â€
- When one stops taks a step back and looks at the lyrics he is promoting rape. I know aabout 95% of you are males and may not see how it applies to you but, how many of you have an aunt, a sister, a grandmother, a mom, or perhaps in the future will want a wife?
-The song is titled â€œI want to Fuck youâ€, but still people go out and buy these songs, and the music business flourishes because of it.
- Music Censorship is a major issue and the music industry wants its costumers to know nothing about.
-As Eriz Nuzum stated, author of Music Censorship in America, in an interview â€œMusic Censorship is an issue thatâ€™s been around since music has been mass distributed, since music has been recorded.â€ So, clearly this is an issue of much importance as it has lasted so long.
-There are many types of censorships. First off is the parental advisory sticker they throw on Some Cdâ€™s and you must be a certain age to buy it. But that rarely stops anyone from downloading music illegally or getting someone older to buy it. Another type of censorship is when radio stations that refuse to play some songs because of the message it sends. But for every radio station that refuses to play a song there are many more that are willing to play it.
- Another type of censorship would be if the government stepped in and told the music industry certain words, or ideas can not be put into music at all. Censorship affects many parts of the music business and its counterparts. It affects most obviously the Record Labels and the people who produce the tracks.
-It affects the singers as well. It also effect any store who sellâ€™s cdâ€™s in their stores, and all the employees who are employed by those stores. If music ever fully gets censored by lets say the government stepping in or special interest groups putting so much pressure on the industry itself, no one can predict if sales might just totally plummet.
-But still the question is asked on weather should music be censored. Many people strongly believe that it leads to crimes as it promotes violence.
- In one song by the Game called scream on em it starts off with gunshots then soon later the game says â€œHomey its hard not to killâ€¦Itâ€™s like a full time jobâ€ All over the music business one can find singers talking about killing and violence, and many people strongly believe it helps promote violence in the neighborhood.
-Then there are the songs who promote drug use like 50 cents song High All The Time which is pretty self explanatory as the whole song is based around drugs and encourages people to try it.
-Although one can put a strong case why there should be censorship in music businessâ€™s also put up quite a compelling case against it. Two main points against it is freedom of speech, and the fact that it is a source of entertainment only and thatâ€™s the sole purpose of it is it to entertain.
-Amendment one of the constitution explains how congress cannot make laws that inhibit freedom of speech. But, when does freedom of speech infringe upon the rights of others like in such the case if someone screams fire in a movie theatre when there was no fire.
- You can bet for sure the person is going to be arrested as he embarked on the rights of whoever else was in the movie theatre. When it comes to music some believe there is a line where a singer can cross and embark on the rights of others.
- But, Businessâ€™s use the clause of the freedom of speech to prove that singers can sing about whatever they want in any context.
-The other point the music business makes is that they are in business to entertain the public and that is simply all they are doing, as they claim they do not convey any ideas onto its listeners. Perhaps, if artists instead song more about positive things, maybe the sons would be boring and no one would want to listen to it.
-Weather one is for or against music censorship, one must here all the facts surrounding both sides. I am not hear to preach for music censorship or against as I am simply trying to give evidence for both sides.
- The only thing I can ask for is for everyone to have an open mind in deciding what should happen with the music industry.
-And in conclusion I would like to end with a quote from Barbara Howard in her article titles Whatâ€™t in a word? Too little, too late of the Broward Times she says in describing music censorship â€œIt Truly is all about the moneyâ€ Thankyou.
Nuzum, Eric (2001 June 16) All Things Considered. Washington, D.C. pg. 1
Howard, Barbar. (2007, June 21) The Broward Times. Coral Springs, Fla. Vol. 64 Issue 24; pg 5a
Dogg, Snoop. The Blue Carpet Treatment, November 2006, Geffen Records
Game, The. (2006 November) Doctors Advocate , Geffen Records
Cent, 50. (2003 February) Get Rich Or Die Tryin, Shady Records
Madison, James . (1791 December) United States Bill Of Rights,
The National Archives Experience (2005) Retrieved, July 14 2007, from
Get Better Grades Today
Join Essays24.com and get instant access to over 60,000+ Papers and Essays